Chatham is home to the Chatham Lighthouse, which was established by President Thomas Jefferson in 1808 to protect the ships circling the Cape.
The 1808 towers were replaced in 1841 by twin brick towers that were eventually lost to erosion.
The expansive lands over which they roamed were known to them as Manamoyik or Monomoit.
First settled by the English in 1664, the township was originally called Monomoit based on the indigenous population's term for the region.
Chatham is home to the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge, located on Monomoy Island, For geographic and demographic information on specific parts of the town of Chatham, please see the articles on Chatham (CDP) and West Chatham.
Today, the keeper's house is home to a Coast Guard station which patrols the waters of the Atlantic and Nantucket Sound from Wellfleet to West Yarmouth.
The first reforesting project in America took place on Great Hill in 1821 when Selectmen had pine trees and beach grass planted to prevent erosion and to keep sand from blowing over the village.
The pair were rebuilt in 1877 out of cast iron across the street from its original location, where the light is today.